India rules out war against Pakistan Presstv
India rules out war against Pakistan
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:43:19 GMT
India’s Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee
India’s Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee rules out a military action against Pakistan amid tensions over last month’s terror attacks in Mumbai.
“That is no solution,” Mukherjee said Thursday during the parliament session in New Delhi. He was replying to an angry lawmaker who asked why India was not attacking Pakistan after so much proof of its complicity in fomenting trouble in India.
Mukherjee emphasized India expected decisive action from Pakistan to crack down on militants operating on its soil. “We have also pointed out that their denial is not going to resolve the issue,” he said.
His remarks come two weeks after coordinated attacks in Mumbai which the US and Indian intelligence reports have blamed on the Pakistan-based Kashmiri militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
India has demanded that Pakistan hand over 40 people it believes were involved in attacks on Indian soil and other serious crimes. It had previously demanded the hand over of 20 suspected militants.
Meanwhile, Islamabad has intensified its crackdown on Lashkar-e-Taiba but says will not hand over any of its citizens to India. It also denies any involvement in the raids that left 171 people dead and 294 wounded.
Pakistan’s Interior Ministry Chief Rehman Malik said Islamabad was still waiting for evidence from India proving Pakistani nationals were involved in the attacks.